Tuesday, August 16, 2005

We are having our first scrimmage today

Quoting Football Coach>:
Thanks for all of the information you have provided. I have another
question. We are having our first scrimmage today, and I was wondering what I need to be doing offensively. Do I create a script and run those 10 scripted plays like I would a game plan, or do I just run through the playbook and see how each play does and then run through it again? We are using the 01 playbook you have on your site. We have modified Power I Rt fake 22 43 to be a trap play where we are pulling the offside guard. I think this will be an awesome play. Do we run that in a scrimmage, or wait? I don't think anyone in our league has run a trap play since I have been associated with this youth league. I am excited.
But I digress, back to the scrimmage question. I was just going to run plays and document how well they were executed. Or is there a better.
--------------
I think scrimmages should be used to develop hard nose tactics and not show all my guns. Script? Yes I would run a 4 - 5 play script on both sides and monitor crucial areas like x blocks. How the back handles the ball and the qb the hand off and line of scrimmage for infractions. any dropped balls and off the field for up downs. then back on. They have to know there are consequences for major infraction like lost balls in tall grass. We scrimmage next monday. Get everyone in and try to have fun. Don't you coach 8-9's. I think you will find it difficult at best to pull anyone unless you are pulling to kick out and end. Trying to trap inside with little guys is almost always a losing afair as the center guard gaps are the hardest to defend. So pulling some one from inside lets a guy run free to my qb and mess up the whole she bang.
931-455-0660 w